Sunday, April 11, 2010

Excuses... we all have them


It's raining....
It's too cold...
It's very windy...

Every hour today, I returned to the window only to see the same stuff as before.

But then during this one special moment, I found myself returning to the window peeking out... feeling like a puppy looking for his loved ones to return.  At this very moment, I knew what I was seeking.. and it was on the other side of the window.


Why keep 'running' from the window? Well, I knew I had consequences to encounter.. ones I weren't ready for, or hoping to go away over time... Who wants to be wet?  Who wants to be cold?  Nobody likes their ears and toes to freeze off.  No one likes their face, nose, and lips to slapped repeatedly by the wind.  All this sucks.  But I sit there like I have all the time in the world.

I don't.  And I've wasted so much time already.

So, I turn on the music in the crib to get myself ready for the battle ahead.  I throw on the protection:
  • shorts... check
  • long sleeve shirt... check
  • beenie... check
  • running shoes..  check
  • chapstick... check
I then strap on my weapons of choice:
  • mp3 player... check
  • headphones... check
  • gps watch... check

Now I'm ready for battle...

I know there are so much more higher things to be concerned with then running, but it's my 'simple' example of the many things in life we decide to not do it because of blah blah blah.  Then you end up missing out.  When the wind tunnel hit me, I thought about some runners I passed during the NYC marathon... they were wheel-chaired, visually impaired, blind, and/or an amputee.  Do you think that weather would have stopped them?

1 comment:

  1. this is great motivation!!i need to read this every time i have one of those excuses and i do have them. one day it was raining and i went to work out just because i knew that it was that much harder to do it. take the road less traveled!! if it were easy, everyone would be doing it right? michael jordan used to run a mile before practice and look how great he turned out. thanks for the motiviation!!

    ReplyDelete