Sunday, March 21, 2010

Take Your Clothes Off!

Man, today was one of those perfect days...
  1. windows down
  2. hair blowing in the wind (yep, all of it!)
  3. temp was low 70s
  4. not a cloud in the sky
Just perfect!  So, I decided to step out into nature and run  Black Mountain (Los Altos Hills, 94024) again.  I did last weekend but it has an elevation that could literally kill you if you don't come prepared... mentally and physically.  So, I wasn't out there to long that day.

It was a liberating run for me because I did it like a caveman would... running freely with a shirt off.  For me, this is big.. and it's the next step in pushing me in the direction I'm leaning for.  Feels pretty amazing to feel the cool air and heat on my back.  So looking forward to not having the wife-beater tan anymore! Oh, and I was playing about the pic link :)  I just want a simple beach body, and no crazy tan line.


So, progress...

This time, I made it to the top-middle... right before the rolling hills began (for those who are aware).  I basically turned back at that 1st random power line. Round trip took 1 hour, 12min.  Took me 42 min to get to the power line (3.3miles) and turned around to coast down pretty quickly.

The first 1 mile is really, really steep, and takes me about 12-13 min to get up.. mostly taking large steps or running very slowly.  At this point, due to the high altitude change, you see an awesome view of the Bay Area, like baller cribs, Stanford,  Palo Alto, Mountain View, Moffett Field, etc.  For the next 2.5 miles, it's steady inclines that are runnable, yet still pretty tiring and keep your heart rate up...

Why did I stop???  The next mile is a killer and I didn't have any fluids or food with me, so didn't want to chance it.  With a proper dinner the day before and breakfast before the run, I'll probably push it next time.  It's a pretty heavily traveled path, so I'll be cool.

If anyone in the crew (or a group) every wants to HIKE/backpack it, let me know.. assuming I didn't scare you =)  It's not that bad.  We can have lunch at the top and hopefully you can see some amazing things if it's not foggy.  Here is a collection of pics from the trail and the summit.  Enjoy!

Caveman Frank.. out

 

3 comments:

  1. oh sounds like fun, i love hiking. im trying to plan another trip to half dome when the waterfalls are full! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKeg78MPmkU

    let me know if you're jogging any trails in oakland, berkeley or frisco! im down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do. I want to make it to Crissy Field one day. Also, heard the Mountain View Cemetery in Oakland offers "views of San Francisco that are to die for" lol.

    Half Dome would be sick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes! Mountain View Cemetery is to die for(clever), i've never seen so many people chilling at the cemetery. lol. the architecture makes for great photo ops too!

    ReplyDelete