Tuesday, March 9, 2010

WHY Crossfit? I get this question a lot...

For me, I choose to answer the question differently.  The reasons are endless. 
  1. to live a long and healthy life with loved ones, both family and friends. Shoot, at 70, I want to be tough competition for the grand-kids!
  2. spring into action as a hero when needed.  I keep having dreams, so one day it might happen and I'll  be E........ get it??? A red E???  (probably another Funny that didn't go over)
  3. be eye-candy for my significant other.  The Old Spice man is killing me, lol. I love that commercial.
  4. motivation for others. So many have pushed and motivated me throughout the years.  I want to do the same in return.
  5. self accomplishment in something new for my body/life. Basically, being 'comfortable with the uncomfortable.'
Now, you might say, "Frank, you can get all the above just doing any type of exercise routine".  This is true, for I heard a lot of great feedback from friends/family whom have seen first hand what going to the gym and eating right has done to me.  Running kept me healthy, but adding gym and healthy food substitutions pushed 'healthy' to a new level.  Oh, and also wearing the new clothes too.  Got to love Medium t-shirts! =)

Anyway, the correct response you might be looking for concerning "WHY Crossfit?" are:
  1. Not the same workouts.  The workout of the day (WOD) varies from day to day, so you don't get bored with a  routine.  I look at it as an obstacle course.  Who doesn't love obstacle courses?!?! 
  2. Kicks your butt (still deciding if I want to cuss on my blog). Some workouts I dread because they really push you, but once I'm done, I'm glad I did it.  I feel like I worked harder then running a marathon.  This is great since workouts are full body and include both strength and conditioning/cardio.
  3. Instructor led. It's like having your own personal trainer!  Plus, mine won the 2008 Crossfit Games!
  4. Comradery. Nothing beats people pushing one another for a common goal (kind of like the ones I listed earlier.. well, at least a couple of them).  My brother and couple of friends have invested their time into it, pushing, motivating, and learning from each other.
  5. Great Price when you think of it.  Depending on city and what the 'box' has to offer, I've seen monthly unlimited access prices ranging from $75 to $200 a month.  To compare... Personal Training at 24 Fitness, they have a special now, three 50min sessions for $129.  For personal trainers outside a gym, I see $50 to $150 PER SESSION.  So, the savings add up significantly if you need someone pushing you!
  6. All Natural Movements.   It's basically workouts that involve daily life.. from jumping, to climbing, picking large stuff off the floor... building the strength needed to do it quickly, properly, and most importantly, SAFELY.  When I used to help my friends move, I'd be the one keeping the door open for others to move the big ol skool box TVs inside. Now I can probably deadlift the TV myself and move it wherever it's needed (plz don't test me!).
  7. Results. They're out there!  Many people speak highly of the transformations that CF has given them.  But with any workout, there needs to be patience and goals set that are achievable.  By following the CF benchmarks, I'm able to see my progress and know that I'm getting closer and closer to my goal.  And one thing I can say is.. you get out what you put in.
Well, I hope I'm motivating others out there to continue to live a healthy life in some form.  I enjoy things that take me away from the everyday stresses of life or assist me in keeping my eye on the goal.  CF is one of those, along with my family and friends of course.

I thank those who are following me and telling me on the side they are reading the blog.  Feel free to comment =) but I understand if you don't.  I don't comment myself, lol.  Aiight, it's way past my bed time.

2 comments:

  1. Ok...Besides your Red E joke that went over poorly (I still dont get it).... I love this article. It covers all things and reasons why people used to ask me "why track Tamara"..."why would you run around in a circle...the same circle for 20 yrs of your life??" And its for all the reasons listed above. I love the self accomplishment that comes out of it. The harder the workout, competition, the greater reward you feel. Its not easy, but it feels good once you overcome it daily! I especially understand the importance of having an instructor and teammates there to push you, because it holds you accountable for not just "showing up" but also working hard while your there...and not just standing around talking with your buddies. Work-out time is work-out time. I love it.

    Oh...and your pushin the SMedium! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. leave my Mediums alone.. I'm be in smalls soon, lol. Oh, and the Red E is... READY :) So, I'll be ready when I need to be a hero.

    ReplyDelete