Monday, November 22, 2010

Gymnastics


Over the weekend, I attended a seminar learning how to apply basic gymnastics, acrobatic, and freestyle movement to my CrossFit training. It's a way to increase my agility, mobility, and versatility in WODs and beyond.. like basketball.. or maybe horseback riding... if it's your thing.

The coach was visiting from San Fransisco Crossfit and is well known in the CF community for his work.  Here's a video of him on YouTube doing some badass parkour and gymnastics work.


We were demonstrated skills with safe, simple, and easy-to-follow progressions that I can practice on my own to enhance my performance in just about anything.  The items/areas we worked on covered:

  • Hollw-Body Position
  • Hand Balancing
  • Rings
  • Bar
  • Basic Rolls and Tumbling

All of these are used to complete the following which I will try my best to work on as much as possible in the future

  • Freestanding Hand-Stand Push-Ups
  • Pistols (one legged squats)
  • Muscle Ups (bar or rings)
  • Back Flips

There's a lot I learned and don't feel like writing it all down, but know I can't help but get better.

Goal: in early 2011, say, "Frank, can you bust out that backflip right quick?"  Hopefully I will say, "of course!"

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with that backflip. Post a vid when you got it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mos def will. i think the hardest part is just 'doing it'. i'm scared, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!! i'm really considering joing crossfit oakland. what do you think? http://www.crossfiteastbay.com/2010/11/crossfit-east-bay-wod-gwpc-101-32.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I just created a post for you and others concerning the same. Check it out here http://crossfitfrank.blogspot.com/2010/11/want-to-join-crossfit.html

    As for Crossfit East bay, I've never been so I can only tell you what I get from online stuff ;)
    1.) Yelp gives it great reviews, but last one is over 2 years ago though.
    2.) This seems to be a rock climbing business that offers very limited CF classes in the evening only.
    3.) Rock Climbing is an awesome full body workout and I see it being part of a few WODs, which is different in a good way.
    4.) Due too number of CF classes, size could be an issue, recommend you check them out in person.
    5.) WODs are posted everyday in advance, good.
    6.) Price is awesome but makes me question why.. see #4.
    7.) I have heard about Sunnyvale Planet Granite, which is like this one... but isn't good, because they focus on their Rock Climbing business and the CF coaches avoid techniques people can't get right (if that makes sense). That's 'hear-say' though. We say, practice what you suck at.. don't avoid!

    Summary: GO for it! I can join you one day if the timing is right of course, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks Frank, i'm too intimidated to start though, but I WILL. as soon as season is over

    ReplyDelete
  6. don't be intimidated! remember everything is scalable and we all start from somewhere. 2011 is a good starting point! anywho, good luck on rest of season!

    ReplyDelete